TOP!
Vankleek Hill and District Horticultural Society banner

 

History

The organizational meeting for the Vankleek Hill Horticultural Society took place January 10th 1906. The 60 strong member society held its first flower show in April 1907. The judge for this occasion was Professor Macoun from the Ottawa Experimental Farm.

Historical Highlights

1906
The organizational meeting for the Vankleek Hill Horticultural Society took place January 10th 1906.

1907
The 60 strong member society held its first flower show in April 1907. The judge for this occasion was Professor Macoun from the Ottawa Experimental Farm.

1971
The Vankleek Hill Horticultural Society became the Vankleek Hill and District Horticultural Society.

1978
The society celebrates its 50th anniversary.

1984
The society starts the tradition of planting a tree at the Pleasant Corners Public school with the graduating class. 

1987
The chain of office, which features the 10 provincial flowers, was presented by Mr Werner Friedrich to celebrate the society’s 80th anniversary.

1993
Revival of the Children’s Tulips and daffodil show.

1994 
In collaboration with the town of Vankleek hill the society established Mill Street Park. Gisbert Rosenstein a member of the society planned the park, odered the materials and supervised the workers.

1997
Lifetime membership awards were given to Wilhelm and Margaret Zerter.
Establishment of the Sunflower club.

2000
An oak tree was planted and a monument placed in Mill Street Park to celebrate the history of the society.

2002
A tree was planted in the Mill Street Park in honour of the 95th anniversary of the society.

2002
The society starts the tradition of planting a tree at St Jude’s School with the graduating class.

2004
A northern red oak is planted in Mill Street park in remembrance of William Zerter a life member of the society.

2005
An ivory silk tree lilac was planted in memory of Gisbert Rosenstein a long serving member of the society.

2007
100th anniversary of the society.