Flower show rules and regulations
- Exhibitors must be members of the Society for at least one (1) month.
- Family members must compete separately.
- No commercial grower may compete. Ontario Horticultural Association District #1 ruling.
- Refer to Ontario Judging and Exhibiting Standards Publication revised 2012 (available from our treasurer). All entries must meet the requirements in this booklet.
- The Judge’s decision will be final. No exhibit will be awarded a ribbon unless it possesses merit, even though it may be the only exhibit in its class.
Point system: 1st Place – 3 points 2nd Place – 2 points 3rd Place – 1 point
- All entries must be tagged with membership number PRIOR to arrival at the Community Centre.
- Exhibits to be in the Community Centre by 10:00 a.m. NO ENTRIES ACCEPTED AFTER 10:00 a.m. No entries to be removed prior to 4:00 p.m.
- Members will exhibit no more than one (1) entry in each section and no more than thirty entries total in classes one through six inclusive.
- Clean plants only – no contagious or infested entries (mealy bugs, spider mites, etc.) otherwise these entries will be disqualified. Remove anthers from all lilies and daylilies.
- All houseplants must be in the possession of the exhibitor for a minimum of three (3) months to be eligible for exhibiting. Each plant must be in a single container. Saucers allowed.
- It is forbidden to move or touch other exhibits. This includes the removal of slips and/or leaves.
- Exhibitor must grow all entries. Except Class 6 – Decorative Arrangements must be arranged by the exhibitor only. Purchased flowers allowed in Class 6 only.
- Photographs must have been taken by the exhibitor.
- High Point Trophy can only be won for two (2) consecutive years.
- Trophy winners are asked to return trophies/plaques in a respectable state.
- Prizes are in the form of ribbons and cash that the Society provides.
1st Place - $15.00 2nd Place - $10.00 3rd Place - $5.00
- Bernice Wilson Trophy – The winning plant of the previous year is not eligible for this trophy.
Prizes are awarded to the exhibitor(s) with the highest points in the CLASS – not the Section.
This is why we encourage exhibitors to enter as many sections as possible in a class.
Hints and suggestions: Dis-bud where necessary. Take extra flowers in a separate container to replace any damaged in transit. Please use jars or bottles for cut flower entries to avoid loss of good vases. A plain container shows cut flowers to best advantage.